I remember the first time I heard about blogging a few years ago. My reaction was: “WHY would ANYONE want to publish their journal online, for EVERYONE to READ?!?!”
Then, a couple of years ago, I started hearing various friends talk about their blogs, and I got curious about this whole world of which I had no part. It’s been almost a year now since I started writing here on a regular basis (and actually told anyone my blog existed) and blogging is now a part of my day-to-day existence.
Like lots of other mommy bloggers, I sometimes get in conversations about what makes bloggers successful. How do they attract readers? And how do they keep them?
A lot of people really believe that you have to find a niche if you want to develop a readership. I like to believe that content is king. The blogs that provide quality content and update it consistently will eventually find readers.
I decided to think about it in a different way. Why do I take the time to read about other people’s lives? So, I made a list.
Here are my Top 10 reasons that I read blogs:
1. Friends. My first stop in BloggyLand is to visit my friends and find out what they have been up to. I’ve listed many of them in the section on the left called, “The Bloggy People I Really Know”. While it’s fun to talk to friends in real life, I find that people express things differently in a written format. I know I do!
2. People going through extreme life challenges. Some of my friends have had some unbelievable trials, like Tyson, Terra and Gretta. Reading their blogs is a good way to know how I can pray for them and also get the latest updates.
3. Bloggers I don’t know in real life, but with whom I can relate. Jane Anne has a son with a severe peanut allergy. Jenny loves to ride her bike. Missy has four kids under the age of 6, plus she’s hilarious! I don’t know any of these people, but they often make me smile because I can connect with their lives.
4. People with good ideas. Kristen has some great do-it-yourself tips, and her Works For Me Wednesday is always full of great links! Bake at 350 gives some amazing ideas for making cute cookies for every occassion.
5. Bloggers that write about the business of blogging or design or photography or something along those lines. I especially like CopyBlogger, Musings of a Housewife (writes about real life, as well as blogging and design), Chatting at the Sky (inspirational, plus great photography) and Life with My 3 Boybarians (writes about blogging, photography and homeschooling).
6. Writers who make me laugh. I enjoy reading Big Mama and Boo Mama because they usually make me smile. However, I would like to add here, that it’s OK to be serious. When people are funny day after day, it makes me wonder if their life is really so perfect? I don’t mind to hear about the difficult times, too! That way I don’t feel so bad that other people’s lives are so darned hilarious!
7. Writers who can really write. If you haven’t read Antique Mommy, you have to check her out. She has a great way with words.
8. My addiction. LOST. Need I say more?
9. And most importantly, blogs that inspire me to be a better person than I am today. Lysa TerKeurst is great at doing that in a way that still is fun to read.
10. And then there’s everydayMOM because, you know, I crack myself up. (And I couldn’t think of a No. 10.)
So what blogs do YOU like to read and WHY?! I really want to know! I would love to check out your suggestions!